Monday 20 October 2014

A Warhammer Bestiary: Slann



Ahh, proper Slann. Nothing says old school Warhammer like proper Slann. You may well be wondering what I mean by this, as the Slann have been a stalwart of the game for a great many years. Its because these days the slann are relegated to fat frog spell casters. But there was a wild time when an entire army of the frogmen could be fielded en mass. 

Unlike some of the other races in the WFB3 rulebook, the Slann background section is very well fleshed out, and this is most likely due to their appearance in previous supplements, most notably - the Magnificent Sven. After reading the entry I realised that I had erred in my paint job, as I had included gold metallic parts on my Slann and it seems use of metals is very rare. 


Clearly inspired by Aztecs, the Slann are suffering the same decimation of their society thanks to the coughs and colds of Old Worlders. Though unlike the ancient dwellers of the Americas, the slann are descended from a far more powerful and scientific civilisation.  With this in mind, I went on a little internet stroll to pick up some inspiration to paint up this model - which is of course on of the earlier pre-slotta slann models. After sticking the solid base on the plastic base, and building up the ground under foot with greenstuff and sand I opted to go with a yellow skin colour, largely becuase I wanted to work on my technique using this colour. 


I don't think I was totally successful. But I am happy with the way the model came out for this project. Its clear to me that the slann and I have some unfinished business and would dearly like to produce a vividly painted force at some point in the future. 

11 comments:

  1. Excellent looking Slann. I love the skin tone, and the eyes look really good.
    I agree, the background to the Slann is great, and always appealed to me.
    Welcome to the jungle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you lucky enough to have a great number of slaan Mr lee? I am certainly envious of anyone who can field a good sized force of these.

      Delete
  2. The skin comes along very nicely, I love the subtle red shading! Very nice! The feet could do with a little more contrast especially towards the base itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right, and I was only just thinking the same thing looking at the photographs once more. A little chestnut ink should do the trick!

      Delete
  3. I like the skin color and how you've done the eye.
    Based on the fluff a larger force could have all sorts of fun skin-tones and markings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In future I would love to do some more brightly coloured (blue/black red/black) paint jobs based on the posion arrow frogs you often see in zoos.

      Delete
  4. Very nicely painted indeed, Sir! Lovely work on the skin and eyes, and nice colourful attire too. Big fan of the original ideas behind the Slann and the handful I own are much cherished as a result. Great posting :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mustt admit to having overlooked the range in the past, largely due to the fact that I did not collect them in the past. I realise now that there are some really nice figures in the pre-slotta range that need to be part of any serious collection.

      Delete
  5. Slann-tastic! I always liked this army in its original incarnation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that you do. Expect to see more Slann here. Just not straight away!

      Delete
  6. Slann are one of the races that interested me way back in the long distant past. I just loved their way out there look. I suppose they were a non human looking race which is what made them interesting. Especially for someone who had just migrated from the Dungeons and Dragons game where you could only play a usual humanoid character. I can remember time and time again browsing through the first Citadel Compendium with "The legend of Kremlo" thinking it was a great idea. Then came the Amazons with the Slann and Amazon skirmish type battles. Great memories indeed. I built a small force of Slann. Many decades later and I just don't know what happened to them. I assume when I got to that age where booze and girls were more interesting then came marriage parents probably had a sort out and they went the same way as any other item my parents thought I had outgrown.
    Last year I started to migrate back to collecting miniatures again. One of my main objectives are pre-slotta Slann as these are the guys I remember fondly.
    I really love your painted figure. He's great to look at. A real inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete