Tuesday 27 October 2015

McDeath: Is this the world's worst recast?




As many readers will know, I have been (slowly) re-creating the McDeath scenario using many of the original models. We even managed to play through the first game of the scenario several times in August at the third annual Oldhammer Weekend at the Wargames Foundry. 

Getting to that point was a real challenge, partly due to the scale of the project. I am just one man, with limited time, who needs to paint hundreds of models, build scenery and create custom tables for each part of the narrative. The other great hurdle of the project was getting hold of the models themselves. Not only are some of them quite rare, they are also highly desirable and have very high price tags - think £100+ for McDeath and Lady McDeath each!

My quest through the fathoms of collectingMcDeath have hit some real lows and reached some wonderful highs. The generosity of some Oldhammerers has been remarkable - especially my friend, Steve Casey, who supplied McDeath himself. But the dodgy dealing and dubious miniatures that I saw for sale on that journey shocked me. 

Though nothing I saw shocked me as much as the above listing I found on eBay this morning. Just look at that image boys and girls! Isn't this the worst 'recast' you have ever seen? If indeed it IS a recast as its SO bad it might even be a sculpted copy.

Here is what McDeath SHOULD look like! 


And I am afraid that the rear view of the model is even worse than the front! Just have a look below if you don't believe me. What makes matters worse - its up for sale for an astonishing £150!!!!!! The seller is called 'deiv-zalg' and has zero feedback. Make of that what you will! 






19 comments:

  1. And I just bought it...not a recast but a 1 off limited/unreleased ''Bloobman'' sculpt..heheheh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary Connors has found a second version of this figure for sale elsewhere via a different seller? A recast is looking more likely - but could it be a recast of a resculpt? http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tragedy-Of-Mcdeath-Scenario-Mcdeath-Very-Rare-Citadel-Metal-Games-Workshop-/221922138039?hash=item33ab9717b7%3Ag%3A1f8AAOSwo6lWK8Zx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given that the armour at the front is a completely different style (badly done chain mail rather than the scale mail of the original), the angle of the sword arm is different and the helmet is a totally different shape, I can only guess that it has to be a badly-done resculpt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be right there. The differing details are puzzling. And it is so badly done. The figure in itself shouldn't be an issue - its the shocking price tag!

      Delete
  4. It reminds me of the Westair figures you see in castle gift shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that! Only they are much better quality. Bryan sells similar historic models in pewter at the Foundry.

      Delete
  5. Look, Steve Casey isn't as kind to the rest of us McDeath collectors, so we have to drop a couple hundred bucks on a shoddy piece of crap like this to get that "Authentic" McD vibe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that whispering sweet nothings in his ear helps!

      Delete
  6. I thought this was one of two things when I saw it at first:
    1.) A miniature that someone had put in a rock tumbler
    OR
    2.) A forgotten McDonaldland character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The armor was done with a mechanical pencil. The face looks like it was drawn into putty with a ball point pen. But damn it all if that isn't the cleanest casting job that I've ever seen. That rock tumbler suggestion might not be as snarky as it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only the model could speak, eh? I am sure it would have quite a tale to tell about it's creation!

      Delete
  8. That could be the most pitiful attempt I've ever seen. The only thing more pitiful is the fact that the guy is trying to sell it for that amount. Shameful really.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reported to ebay for misleading description. The photo is its own deterrent so I doubt anyone will be taken in

    ReplyDelete