Thursday 29 November 2012

Regiments of Renown: A Short History and catalogue Part One: Early years

Introduction 

Last post, I discussed 'The Valley of Death', one of the few 'official' scenarios published for Third Edition. As some have commented, myself included, in order to play this scenario you'd need a bucket load of miniatures (and they would have to be painted too) if you wanted to get the most out of it. This got me thinking about easy ways to collect large bodies of troops quickly and effectively in the 21st century. Ebay is obviously your main route gaining troops, but the random piecemeal fashion in which this process reveals itself is rather demoralising. To solve the problem, my mind quickly flicked towards the famous miniature sets released during the 80s (and rebooted several times since then), the Regiments of Renown. After all, a few of these sets and you have practically an army. Its still possible to get these sets for reasonable value as Citadel must have pumped them out in huge quantities and many of the sculpts were in production for over ten years.

So I set about searching for sets of these models at a reasonable price - trouble was, apart from some of the later editions (like the Nightmare Legion) my knowledge of the ranges was limited, and I found it rather difficult to gather in information I needed to begin collecting these sets as it was spread across the internet in a variety of places. 

So I decided to collate my research into this post in case others were interested in doing the same. I have split the regiments into the two series, if you can call them that. The first series was released over a three year period during the Second Edition period, while the second series was released in stages around the release of Third Edition, the first half of these sets were new sets while the remaining sets were reissues. 

I have gathered together any associated artwork, pictures of the models themselves (useful when cruising eBay in the small hours) and any decent painted examples I could find on the internet. Some regiments are clearly more popular than others, and information can be found in abundance, while others are more rare. I'll give each set a personal review and share with you some painted examples. 

Here we go then..

Second Edition Regiments 1983 - 1986

Originally offered in sets of eight plus a command figure. You had to buy three sets to get all three command figures. I find this a bizarre set up and explains why you often see random collections of troopers and character models available for sale. Of course, it makes wonderful sense if you are the owner of the manufacturing company!

Lets have a look at the sets.

RR1 Bugman's Dwarf Rangers

Mini Review: One of the most famous units in Warhammer in any edition, Bugman's could be sliced in half and you'd be able to read Warhammer through the centre, a bit like a stick of rock. As with all dwarfs from the 80s, these models have that distinct Citadel look that I find so endearing. I'm not an expert in pre-slotta solid bases, but I assume that the detail and finish is just as good as the later 80s models.

Availiability:  I've seen these loads of times of eBay. They seem to go for reasonable amounts too. Certainly a popular option and fiarly straight forward to get your hands on. 

RR2 The Knights of Origo




Mini Review: I like these Teutonic style knights. These kinds of warriors are these days represented by (in my opinion) the fairly generic Bretonnians. Here we have something a little different. I have a strong whiff of pagan green knights and questing heroes about these sculpts. They are very germanic and a little bit threatening. They do not lack character in the command figures, and the champion would make a fantastic general but I feel that the standard trooper looks a little plain. I would have to see the unit ranked and painted to decide if I actually liked them.

Availability: Unknown - I have certainly never seen them online, but I haven't actually looked. I suspect they must turn up with the same regularity as other models from this period, no doubt in clusters of models as they were originally released.

RR3 Grom's Goblin Guard (version 1 and 2)





Mini Review: Good old Grom! There are some really nice sculpts here, and judging by the look of them I'd go as fair as suggesting they may even be early Kevin Adams, though Nick Bibby's style also springs to mind when looking at them. As you would expect from the 80s, these goblins are gangly, sniggering things who'd probably enjoy and little bit of nose picking. Curiously, there are also two sets of these available (by this I mean different sculpts) and in my opinion the second is far superior. I would imagine this is probably the reason why the guard was remodlled.

Availiability: Again, largely unknown, though Grom and his gobbos do seem to tunr up with a certain regularity on certain old school blogs and with two sets produced, many of these figures must still exist, somewhere.


RR4 Mengil Manhide's Company



Mini Review: These are classic sculpts by Bob Naismith, and a set that I own personally - though not all of the character models. What I like most about the set were the fact that dark elf troopers and witch elves both appeared so it was possible (and still is if you can find enough models) to build units of armoured dark elves and witch elves with ease. The character models are also really nice and are a joy to paint. Interestingly, these were released many times - I recall bying a set of them (by this time as a reissue) in a clear plastic box in Wonderworld in Dorset in about 1989. Sadly, I flogged them for pittance on eBay when I was poor, homeless and single. I am glad to say I have managed to get most of these models back but the leader and standard bearer both still elude me.

Availability: Pretty easy to pick up, as I said they were released many times over the period. A must for Dark Elf collectors really.


RR5 Harboth and the Black Mountain Boys




Mini Review: The first appearence of Harboth's troop is, well, rather underwhleming, especially when comparing them with their second edition. Still, they don't lack chram and would easily stick amongst any goblinoid force. Harboth himself has a wonderful 'doorman' charm about him with his crossed arms and rather uncompromising facial expression. Certainly a rare pose from any period. The rest of the models are harder ro rate with the lack of visual evidence but jugding by the finished troopers above they scrub up nicely with a little effort.

Availability: Certainly rarer than the second edition of the unit but still out there. I've had a few bids on the pre-slotta versions of the years but haven't yet been successful. They are certainly a unit I would like in my Grand Plan.


RR6 Mad Mullah Aklan'ds


Mini Review: Is there a Citadel pun in the name? Aklan'ds? Ackland? Good old Tony, GWs first principle artist after THE BLANCHE. These were one of the units I had no knowledge of, and in compiling this post first laid eyes on the models. They are certainly interesting and would be useful in representing Araby in a Old School army or scenario.

Availability: Never, ever seen them online! Anyone know any better?


RR7 The Bowmen of Oreon/Oreon's Wood Elf Archers

Mini Review: Another set with two versions. I really don't like these models - even the characters, but that is just me. I much prefer the models produced for Skarloc later on the the 80s. They are all a bit too much of a Jason Connery rather than a Michael Pread! (Old school 80s link there, did you see that?)

Availability: EVERYWHERE! In my experience, there is a large abundance of these hideous models as no one really wants to buy them and everyone wants to sell... You may think differently, but I really wouldn't want to be going near these bland models, especially with all the Goodwin goodness that 80s elves have elsewhere.


RR8 Golgfag's Ogres



Mini Review: Again two sets - both classics! Nothing else really needs to be said. The second set is more detailed than the first, but with a suppportive paintjob they'd rank up nicely with any other models of the period.

Availability: The second set seems more numerous than the first, as you would expect, but these models seem to be fairly straight forwards, if a little expensive, to acquire.


RR9 Mudat's Mercenary Half Orcs


Mini Review: These half orcs are another regiment that I was unaware of before I started this research project. Not classics by any standard but the way the models learn forwards as one (ensuring a unified rank up) is rather modern, especially when considering recent plastic sets.

Availability: Unknown - anyone what to offer any further infomation about these models?

RR10 Elwing's Elf Cavalry



Mini Review: Another of the units that I was ignorant of before this little endeavour. From what I have seen (posted above) I am really interested in this unit, partly as its elven cavalry and partly as an example of early mounted Citadel figures. The models do look a little primitive, especially when compared to later elven units but they don't lack charm.

Availability: Unknown. There are none on eBay as I prepare this post.

RR11 Karnac's Lizardmen Raiders


Mini Review: Crude and simplistic sculpts they may be, but these early lizardmen would make an interesting painting project. What colour scheme would you use? The modern electric blues or something more traditional?

Availability: Unknown. There are none of ebay and I have never seen a painted example.


RR 12 Flying Gargoyles of Barda
Mini Review: I love these models. Original (even today, though I suppose furies could be compared with them) and suitably wacjy for 80s Warhammer. The scupting is certaibly interesting and they have a look that suggests that the flying bases was a later idea and the models suggest they were designed to be standing upright rather than flying.

Availability: I have seen these several times for sale and they went for a pretty penny too! Certainly one of the more expensive units to collect.

RR13 Lothern Elf Sea Guard

Mini Review: All I can find out about these models is represented by the artword above. I couldn't find any imformation about these models. Can you help? Do you have some images that I could post or a link to this article. After all, how can we collect these egnimatic models without actually knowing what they look like.

Availability: Again, unknown. A search on eBay and the Google resulted in the image above. A 80s Warhammer mystery! Can you help solve it?


RR14 Notlob's Orc Artillery



Mini Review: Love this set! Goblinoid artillery in all its 80s glory. Now, I don't know if the actually ballista was sculpted for this set was originally designed for Notlob, but the sculpt certainly got around. It was later used for all kinds of purposes; released alongside dwarfs and humans as far forward as the early 90s. The ballista is also really useful as it can used in Third edition to add some artillery support to any army with little fuss - all you need to find are a few infantry figures to represent the crew.

Availability: Here, the ballista is fairly easy to source but the crew are far harder. They turn up occasionally but certainly not in major numbers. A more challenging regiment to complete in my opinion.


RR15 Despoiling Hobgoblins of the Dark Lands
Mini Review: Nice sculpts aren't they? Chunky, crouched and mean, these hobogoblins are no way involved in silly big hatted Chaos Dwarfs and a good thing too. I'd be happy to collect, paint and field these at some point in the future. As, I am sure, would many of your readers.

Availability: I've seen these for sales on and off over the years. I'd say they are failry straight forwards to collect.

RR16 Disciples of the Red Redemption



Mini Review: Ahh, the talented hand of Jes Goodwin once again becomes apparent. These models have been released many times over the years (and make excellent chaos cultists) and rightfully so. Love them. Want them? Anyone selling?

Availability: Loads of the them on eBay. Fairly easy to pick up in bulk too. I am sure that plenty of you readers have a few of these models in your lead pile.


RR17 Knights of the Cleansing Flame



Mini Review: Again, these look like Goodwin sculpts, though far rarer than some of the other of his regiments. These I'd never heard of before I started this little project. Not classics by the great man's standards (though the standard bearer is excellent) but they still deserve a place in any human Oldhammer army - don't you agree?

Availability: Again, unknown. Nothing on the 'net at the moment - but considering their pedigree, these models are going to sell and be valued. Anyone got a set painted we could post here?

RR18 Eeza Ugezod's Mother Crushers



Mini review: If you like your models BIG 'N' CHUNKY then go no further. These orcs are big, bad and detailed. They are also not by Kevin Adams, a man who's vesion inspired the later 'look' of a Citadel orc or goblin. These are very different, and that makes them interesting and worthy of collecting. I'd certianly like to add them to my lead pile at some point.

Availability: Again, these are fairly straight forward to get hold of. Prices may vary but you shouldn't have a real problems as long as you are patient.


To be continued - next post we shall explore the second set of releases- the more famous boxed sets of the later 80s.

Until then, enjoy.

Orlygg.

18 comments:

  1. Good article!

    I have a scan of the original WD ad for the Lothern City Guard here

    http://fuckyeahbritisholdschoolgaming.tumblr.com/post/12972524288/the-lothern-city-guard-citadel-miniatures-1985

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've some painted knights of the eternal flame in the loft!

    And based on the pic you posted, I do believe I have a unit of Lothern Sea guard too! I could be wrong as its been about 6 months since I last rumaged in that particular box. bought them second hand in a job lot of 3rd ed elves about 25 years or so ago.

    might be the weekend before I can get pics organised though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a painted unit, but I do own the Knights of the Cleansing flame. They are really nice minis, especially the champion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Top post Orly. Have or had a good chunk of that lot, including those naff wood elves, which I cannily sold back to the shop I bought them from. I think the Dark Elf Command by Naismith are his best work absolutely ever, the sharpness of detailing is on a par with Tom Meier (IMHO). And I was reflecting today about Jes Goodwins Knights - I lately got a couple of command figures - his style was very intricate that year. I'm now resolved to do a blog post about his career development from Asgard to today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The one command figure per box in the early days leads to some odd e-bay sales now. A few years ago I picked up a set of 20 pre-slotta base Groms for next to nothing but I've only managed to pick up a couple of the actual troopers.

    That painted example of Grom's standard bearer looks familiar... ah yes he's sitting on my shelf! http://oldorcsneverdie.blogspot.com/2012/10/whats-blog-without-picture-to-get-it.html



    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an EPIC post! I haven't even finished reading it yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are welcome to use an image my painted Bugmans Rangers if you like: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-EEUOWt84GVM/UKFcP4jHg3I/AAAAAAAAAMU/R_9UP58dFr8/s1600/a011.jpg

    I am trying to collect Eeza Ugezod's Mother Crushers at the moment. Got Eeza himself but nothing else yet...there apear to be 2 versions of these as well, the older non-slotta base and the newer slotta base models.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an interesting post, I was often looking at these sets but didn't have a global idea.
    For the mengil, i got the standard and champion alone, i'm not really eager to keep them, let me know..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think its fair to say that the Lothern Sea Guard look *exactly* like the art. given that its white metal/ slottas, These must also have been re-eleased in the late 80s

    http://i49.tinypic.com/2q2mf78.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Want...
    Want...
    Want...
    Want...
    Want...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent resource - cheers.

    I've finally got my hands on a Lothern Sea Guard standard bearer. Here's a group shot to celebrate: http://tinyurl.com/ccjj73v

    BTW, Your orc ballistas are not Notlob's but C27 bolt thrower crew:
    http://tinyurl.com/ct5m6uv (mid-left)

    Here's a group shot of the originals: http://tinyurl.com/cdb3uyy

    Feel free to use the group shots on RoC80s if you want...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to see a blog post on this. The slotta Golfag's Ogres were unusual in being better than the pre-slotta version. Most of the slotta versions were way inferior to the pre-slotta versions.

    Seen and/or bought all of the regiments on ebay at some point and bought some of the pre-slotta ones before that when i was at school.

    You should keep on keeping an eye on ebay (just do pre-slotta or old citadel or 1980s citadel searches as not all sellers know what the figures they're selling are in detail) and also take a look at the Miniature Heroes website. He has a lot of old citadel figures - i remember even seeing some of the original Lothern Sea Guard - though his prices are more than i'm willing to pay since my main aim these days is to sell figures i don't want as i have all the ones i do want.

    I had some of the Knights of the Cleansing Flame that i bought on ebay as part of a lot - didn't like them and sold them on. They were slotta based (which is ok with me) but badly modelled (which isn't)

    The only bit i disagree with is where you write on Grom's goblin guard "Curiously, there are also two sets of these available (by this I mean different sculpts) and in my opinion the second is far superior. I would imagine this is probably the reason why the guard was remodlled."

    I was tempted to just write "are you blind?" , but that'd just be rude. I will say the pre-slotta version are immensely better modelled - the second, slotta base version look like they've been modelled by a beginner in a very great hurry. Their faces look like they're melting or cartoons. I remember when they re-released the original pre-slotta regiments of renown and me and my brothers bought some by mail order - and were sent some of the slotta Grom junk because they'd sold out of the pre-slotta version. We were not pleased.

    The reason they were re-modelled was because GW/Citadel were switching to an entirely slotta based range and to mostly cartoon style figures made not to be as well modelled as possible, but to be easy to paint for 10, 11 and 12 year olds - chunky and without any fine detail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure if i still have some Lothern Sea Guard figures or not. If i have i'll set up a new blog and post photos you can use if you want. They're slotta figures, modelling is ok but not brilliant - much better than most of the slotta regiments of renown though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,

    The not Notlobs you have pictured are mine. As commented before, they are later C27 editions. IIRC, the first C27 editions such as those pictured were Kev Adams' alterations to the original Perry twins' Notlob crew.

    http://thelostcityofcarcosa.com/2012/08/17/whfb-notlobs-bolt-throwers/

    For more copies of the original Notlobs (the first two pictures).

    KIY.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the Black Mountain Boys (original 3 sets, no champion figure) and one lot of Grom's Goblin Guard (with Grom) painted up for my O&G army.

    I also have Notlob's Orcish Bolt Throwers. Are Bogan Legbreak's Goblin Chariots not counted as Regiments of Renown? They are listed with the other RoR in the Citadel Journal.

    I've also some got some original Bugman's Rangers somewhere (with my Dwarfs I guess) - I did get rid of my original Mengel Manhide's Company and Bowmen of Oreon though, back in the 80s - I swapped them for more Orcs and Goblins...

    ReplyDelete
  16. By the way, there's a mistake on the listing for the original Bowmen of Oreon. The 'Officer' in the pic is actually a trooper, and the figure labelled 'Trooper' in the illustration is Prince Oreon himself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just found your site and loads of nostalgia here. Had bugmans, wood elves managed to sell on (still use skarloc'sfor my wood elves). golgfags, elf cavalry and found the musician last week plus about 50 half orcs which my brother won in an early Golden demon at Nottingham, possibly before it was called golden demon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, never heard of most of these, though I recognize some of the minis. However half the images aren't loading.

    ReplyDelete